Automation & Controls Programmer
Sioux City, IA or Ireton, IA
Job Description Summary
This position will be responsible for control systems programming and the implementation of PLCs and HMIs.
Essential Job Functions (Duties)
- Design and program PLC controlled systems utilizing Rockwell – Studio 5000, RSLogix 5000, and RSLogix 500
- Design and configure HMIs utilizing Rockwell – FactoryTalk View ME/SE and Studio 5000 View Designer
- Review project requirements, functional definitions and formulation of project specifications and use Process & Instrumentation Diagrams, control narratives, and electrical diagrams to write, compile and test PLC code.
- Develop and program HMI screens to support the overall control of the equipment and process.
- Incorporate into the controls package associated data acquisition and reporting features as required by specification.
- Work within project teams consisting of clients, project managers, engineers, and programmers to deliver integrated automation solutions, and to develop new ideas to improve existing and new automation for systems/processes/services.
- Provide plant check-out, commissioning, and start-up services at customer sites
- Troubleshoot control system issues, help support existing client applications, and general client communication
- Configure and troubleshoot various ethernet hardware including Gateways (ProSoft, EWON), managed switches, VFDs and process instrumentation devices.
• Integrate and network PLCs, HMIs, VFDs and third-party devices using various control networks (ethernet/IP, DeviceNet, Modbus TCP)
- Must have experience in designing and developing control systems with Rockwell Automation, Studio 5000, RSLogix 500 and 5000, FactoryTalk View ME/SE, Studio 5000 View Designer, and Microsoft Office usually obtained through a course of study resulting in an associate’s degree in Industrial Controls, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related field or through 0-4 years of experience.
- Must be able to configure, troubleshoot, and demonstrate experience with electrical control circuits including analog/digital wiring and relay logic
- Must have knowledge in the programming and configuration of VFDs, including control wiring and ethernet control.
- Must have experience reading engineering specifications, electrical schematics, control narratives, and P&ID drawings.
- Must have excellent troubleshooting skills
- Must have knowledge of manufacturing & mechanical systems
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, verbal and written communication skills required
- Must be detail-oriented with strong organizational skills, the ability to prioritize and organize the workload to handle multiple priorities and simultaneously meet deadlines
- Must be knowledgeable of electrical, instrumentation and controls theories, principles and acceptable practices, techniques and codes
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and be able to travel between offices, to customer sites and periodically out of the immediate area.
- Demonstrate proficiency in Rockwell Logix programming software by writing a 2-pump lift station according to a given spec
- RSLogix 500
- RSLogix 5000
- Studio 5000 Logix Designer
- Demonstrate ability to create a FTView ME project
- Demonstrate the ability to create common logic statements
- Motor Run/Fail logic
- Motor Alternate Logic
- Demonstrate the ability to read and make changes to electrical schematics
- Demonstrate ability to use a multimeter for general troubleshooting
- Demonstrate working knowledge of analog signal loops
- Demonstrate ability to use a process meter to troubleshoot analog loops
- Demonstrate ability to create FTView SE project
- Demonstrate the ability to complete a small water or wastewater project
- Demonstrate the ability to pass data between multiple processors via message instructions
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of ethernet networks
- Demonstrate the ability to provide remote service to customers
- Demonstrate the ability to configure a Win911 project
- Demonstrate the ability to configure an XL Reporter project
- Communication Protocol Gateways
- Demonstrate ability to tune PID loops for the following process variables
- Ability to complete all aspects of a typical water/wastewater project
- Demonstrate the ability to learn a new process quickly to troubleshoot down systems
- Demonstrate the ability to troubleshoot logic in an unknown/new process
- Demonstrate the ability to troubleshoot all devices in a typical control panel
- Demonstrate the ability to troubleshoot radio systems
- Demonstrate the ability to configure and troubleshoot remote access devices
- Demonstrate the ability to write complex messaging using indirect addressing to allow for control from multiple PLCs
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of communication protocols
- Serial DF1
- Modbus RTU
- Modbus TCP
- Control Net
- Device Net
- Ethernet IP
- Demonstrate the ability to complete all aspects of an industrial or ag processing project
- Demonstrate the ability to troubleshoot complex ethernet networks.
- Ability to lead a group of programmers on a large control system
- Ability to layout system architecture for FTView SE Network Distributed systems
- Ability to create new AOIs to be tested and added to code library
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the position.
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with State, Federal and Local Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
If you believe you have what it takes to work in a high tech, fast-paced environment where teamwork is critical and flexibility a must, then Thompson might be the right place for you.