Automation & Controls Programmer
This position will be responsible for control systems programming and the implementation of PLCs and HMIs.
Essential Job Functions (Duties)
- Design and program PLC controlled systems utilizing Rockwell – Studio 5000, RSLogix 5000, and RSLogix 500
- Design and configure HMIs utilizing Rockwell – FactoryTalk View ME/SE and Studio 5000 View Designer
- Review project requirements, functional definitions and formulation of project specifications and use Process & Instrumentation Diagrams, control narratives, and electrical diagrams to write, compile and test PLC code.
- Develop and program HMI screens to support the overall control of the equipment and process.
- Incorporate into the controls package associated data acquisition and reporting features as required by the specification.
- Work within project teams consisting of clients, project managers, engineers, and programmers to deliver integrated automation solutions, and to develop new ideas to improve existing and new automation for systems/processes/services.
- Provide plant check-out, commissioning, and start-up services at customer sites
- Troubleshoot control system issues, help support existing client applications, and general client communication
- Configure and troubleshoot various ethernet hardware including Gateways (ProSoft, EWON), managed switches, VFDs and process instrumentation devices.
- Integrate and network PLCs, HMIs, VFDs and third-party devices using various control networks (Ethernet/IP, DeviceNet, Modbus TCP)
- Must have experience in designing and developing control systems with Rockwell Automation, Studio 5000, RSLogix 500 and 5000, FactoryTalk View ME/SE, Studio 5000 View Designer, and Microsoft Office usually obtained through a course of study resulting in an associate degree in Industrial Controls, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related field or through 2-4 years of experience
- Must be able to configure, troubleshoot, and demonstrate experience with electrical control circuits including analog/digital wiring and relay logic
- Must have knowledge in the programming and configuration of VFDs, including control wiring and ethernet control.
- Must have experience reading engineering specifications, electrical schematics, control narratives, and P&ID drawings.
- Must have excellent troubleshooting skills
- Must have knowledge of manufacturing & mechanical systems
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, verbal and written skills required
- Must be detail-oriented with strong organizational skills, the ability to prioritize and organize the workload to handle multiple priorities and simultaneously meet deadlines
- Must be knowledgeable of electrical, instrumentation and controls theories, principles and acceptable practices, techniques and codes
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and be able to travel between offices, to customer sites and periodically out of the immediate area.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the position.
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with State, Federal and Local Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
If you believe you have what it takes to work in a high tech, fast-paced environment where teamwork is critical and flexibility a must, then Thompson might be the right place for you.