Automation & Robotics Director
Job Description Summary
Under the general direction of the President of Integrated Solutions and Business Development, the Automation and Robotics Director is responsible for helping clients solve their strategic business objectives through technology led transformational thinking. The Director will lead and grow a team built to assess opportunities, define technologies and services used and deliver measurable results.
Essential Job Functions
- Design overall strategic direction, operational objectives and priorities for the Automation and Robotics team, both short- and long-term time frames.
- Develop strategies to design solutions that meet the needs and demands of the customer base in such a way that the cost of the solutions is competitive and will create a substantial return on investment for the customers.
- Lead a team of professionals (project managers, process control specialists, programmers, etc.) driving prioritization, evolution and general execution of these services.
- Partner with Business Development to identify and present automated solutions to potential customers.
- Stay abreast of industry trends to bring innovative and customer-focused solutions into the Automation and Robotics technology roadmap.
- Makes final decisions on managerial and operational matters for the department and ensures the achievement of objectives.
- Work efficiently and effectively with employees across the organization to identify opportunities and promote team services.
- Communicate with internal and external customers as to regular reviews of progress, needs and project status.
- Must have a minimum of an Associate’s Degree in an Automation-related field or a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical or Industrial).
- 10+ years of field experience in industrial automation and/or robotics.
- 8-10 years of experience leading automation projects and teams, progressing to at least a manager-level role.
- Deep understanding and experience with Allen Bradley products.
- Must have excellent communications skills with the ability to interact effectively with customers, co-workers, executive leadership and others.
- Must be a self-starter, self-motivated and able to problem solve.
- Must have strong qualitative and business analysis skills.
- Must be adept at understanding and curious about new technologies, systems, and tools.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and good driving record with the ability to travel to customer sites, vendor locations, meetings, trade shows, etc.
Limitations and Disclaimer
- The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
- All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with State, Federal and Local Laws.
- Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
If you believe you have what it takes to work in a high tech, fast-paced environment where teamwork is critical and flexibility a must, then Thompson might be the right place for you.