Automation & Robotics Solution Specialist
Sioux City, Iowa
Job Description Summary
Under the general direction of the Managing Director of Automation, the Solutions Specialist will analyze the technical needs and requirements of customers and develop a strategy to meet those needs through solution design. Includes providing engineering and design support for new and existing automation and robotics projects, collaborating with Business Development during customer engagements, and offering technical product guidance and expertise to support internal operations.
Essential Job Functions
- Serve as the technical subject matter expert for Business Development by providing expertise on solutions to deliver product recommendations for customers. This includes participating in sales calls, trade shows and customer meetings.
• Design of instrumentation and control systems for various systems including water, wastewater, and industrial customers to include selection and specification of process instrumentation, PLC and HMI equipment, robotic, vision systems, and networking components.
• Thoroughly understand and be able to confidently communicate the features and attributes of various product and design solutions.
• Work efficiently and effectively with team members on design and accurate cost estimates to deliver and provide product and solution recommendations, including performing project price estimates.
• Ensure design documentation accurately reflects the customer request and the recommended product or solution.
• Develop and deliver training presentations for customers and co-workers on products and solutions.
• Provide operational support for the implementation and integration of control systems to ensure adequate and reliable operation.
• Communicate with internal and external customers as to project status, challenges and needs.
• Provide customer service as needed, including promptly responding to customer inquiries and requests; furnish information as needed.
• All other duties and projects as assigned.
- Must have a minimum of an Associate’s Degree in an Automation related field, a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field is preferred and 3-5 years of field experience in automation; an equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
• Proficiency in Rockwell Automation, RSLogix 500 and 5000, PanelBuilder32, RSView32, Factory Talk View Studio and Microsoft Office is required.
• Must have excellent communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with customers, co-workers, supervisors and others.
• Must be a self-starter, self-motivated and able to problem-solve.
• Must be able to read and produce blueprints and design documents.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and good driving record with the ability to travel to customer sites, vendor locations, meetings, trade shows, etc..
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the position.
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with State, Federal and Local Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
If you believe you have what it takes to work in a high tech, fast-paced environment where teamwork is critical and flexibility a must, then Thompson might be the right place for you.