Position in Sioux City
Under the general direction of the President, Electrical Construction, the Purchasing Manager is responsible for the purchase of materials, supplies, and services in accordance with company policy and with the objective that the materials, supplies, and services be available at the time, place, quantity, quality, and price consistent with the needs of the company.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Reviews plans, specifications, and contracts to ensure the correct equipment materials and subcontractor services are ordered and/or purchased for construction and service projects at the lowest installed cost.
- Determine or negotiate contract terms and conditions, award supplier contracts, or recommend contract awards; work with vendors to negotiate volume and cash transaction discounts and other available discounts.
- Manage relationships with key suppliers to maintain quality of goods, timely delivery and compliance to terms of contracts.
- Evaluate vendors based on price, reliability, capability, and previous transaction history.
- Prepare and process purchase orders; maintain records of all transactions, purchase orders, pricing history, receipts, and payments.
- Approve invoices for materials and equipment rental.
- Track and maintain rental equipment for job sites.
- Daily communication with field and office personnel.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, or related field preferred and at least two years of purchasing experience required.
- Experience in the construction field desired, along with knowledge of electrical material.
- Must have excellent communication and demonstrated negotiation skills with the ability to build and foster close working relationships with internal customers.
- Must have strong organization and documentation skills, with the ability to focus on detail.
- Must have a thorough understanding of purchasing procedures and policies
- Must have strong research and analytical skills, as well as mathematical aptitude.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and have the ability to learn new software applications and computer programs.
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and be able to travel to job sites and outside locations for meetings.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with State, Federal and Local Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
If you believe you have what it takes to work in high tech, fast-paced environment where teamwork is critical and flexibility a must, then Thompson might be the right place for you.